Monday, August 10, 2009

Turning the corner

It has happened. We've turned a corner and started a new chapter in our lives. It may not seem like a big change, but it is for us.

David just started his new job. While he has only been on the job for two days, I do have to say that I'm enjoying the fact that we share the same work hours and that David gets to do something new and exciting.

His job isn't like anything he's done in the past - and I'm proud of him for going out and trying something new. He's still in communications, but in this new job, he won't be doing as much writing. He'll still be using his journalism skills to go out, find the story and interview the sources, but he won't be writing his own pieces. So, hopefully this new endeavor will serve to broaden his skills - and more.

Because it is his job to "find the story," he will be doing a lot of traveling. In fact, his boss told him that he would most likely be on the road about 10 days of every month. David will travel to different companies to interview employees for stories for the respective company's newsletter or press releases - basically any kind of internal communication. David's company manages communications for several different companies, but David will only manage a few of those accounts and those accounts will take him to western Nebraska, Wyoming and Montana; with the possibilty to go to California or Colorado from time to time.

In fact, David is already gearing up for a trip out west. Tomorrow morning, he'll leave to go to Alliance, Neb., for his first assignment. He'll be traveling with someone else so he can learn the ropes, but will also be doing a good portion of the assignments for this trip himself.

I think he's excited to have a new, full time job. But, of course, he is also very nervous. I try to do my part to encourage him and reassure him that he'll do a great job (because I know he will!) and hope that he is confident in himself as he spends his first week traveling.

I, on the other hand, will be spending the week here at home. I wish he was going to be here, but I have to remember I can't be selfish! Oh well, while he's gone, I fully intend to Bogart the remote, watch girly movies and never cook a meal.

I'm also looking forward to tomorrow. A video project I have been involved with at work is finally done and I get to see the finished product tomorrow. I'm really excited to see it because I think it's going to be really beneficial in the overall project.

However, after that excitement tomorrow, I'll just be counting down the days until David gets home and we are on the road to Illinois. We decided a few weeks ago to make a trip home this weekend because David needs to get fitted for a tux for his best friend's wedding. Plus, David's sister, Tracie (who lives in Des Moines) also wanted to make a trip home - with her new man - so she could show him where she grew up. Because she and her boyfriend live in Des Moines, it will be really easy for David and I to pick them up on our way home and just take one car, rather than two.

Of course, I'm not looking forward to the trip home because I'm excited to see David get fitted for a tux (I know - exciting, right?). There's a paint show in Peoria this weekend and I think I'm going to try this showing thing one more time. Two weeks ago when I went home to show, it was pretty much a disaster, so I'm going to give it another go and see if I can make it work. Oh well, if I can't, you know I'll be at the show with the camera attached to my head trying to get a few good shots of Janell and Tennyson showing.

Plus, it's just nice to be able to go home. I'm hoping there's still some sweet corn and tomatoes left when I get home.....

I think that's all for tonight. Stay tuned for more job updates - and, of course - pictures from the horse show this weekend!

No comments: