Thursday, September 17, 2009

What do I owe you for that?

You know, that little piece of advice you offered?

I feel like I need to ask my husband this question when he gets home tomorrow. David has been gone all week for work, and like usual, I've missed him something awful.

Obviously, I miss him in the normal, everyday routine. I don't enjoy fixing supper and eating it by myself, having no one to fight over the remote with or crawling into bed to go to sleep, only to remember that the left side is empty.

But, this week has been especially tough for me, which makes his absence even harder to swallow. Still, even from 400 miles away, he has a way of putting things in perspective when I can't.

Before I tell you why, I first need to launch into this:

I'm a pretty indepent person. I've always gone where I wanted to and done my own thing. Traveling doesn't bother me and I enjoy experiencing new things.

Nebraska has been a new thing.

Most of the time, I enjoy living in a new state and getting to do new things (and, sometimes, I even enjoy the distance), but not this week. This week, the only thing I've wanted to do is go home.

Because of a few things going on at home (for right now, I'll just say some unexpected medical issues with family - most of you that read my blog probably know anyway), I've had this overwhelming urge to just get in my car and drive. It doesn't matter that, as I sit here, the clock reads 10:08 p.m. I would still rather be in my car, driving.

I just need to be home helping with chores and running errands. I hate feeling helpless. And depressed. More than anything, I hate not knowing what's coming next. I think that started to happen after Dad died - it's one of those side effects that you just don't expect to have and it usually creeps up at the worst time.

But, as I mentioned before, David is able to put things back into perspective. And, I still don't know how. His week hasn't been great. In fact, it has been downright crappy. He has driven all over the place, forgotten the camera battery back here in Lincoln, survived a fight with a hotel desk clerk that said he didn't have a hotel reservation tonight (at the hotel that he was supposed to have a reservation at) and hasn't been able to use the internet all week.

However, during every phone call (or email on the rare chance that he was able to snag someone's wireless), he's been more than supportive and focused on me. He's reassured me that everything will work itself out. When I become Debbie Downer, he's forced me to take a good look in the mirror and re-evaluate (and, when he is getting ready to force me to take a good, hard look in the mirror, he prepares me for it by saying first, "Not to be an ass, but...").

And, so far, he's been right.

This week has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me, but he's been able long-distance manage it.

Things are still a little rocky, but with his support, I've been able to change my attitude this week. I'm still worried about the stuff going on at home - and terrifying thoughts still cross my mind. But, it's funny how a little bit of poking, prodding and some reassuring words from a very stubborn (and strangely optimistic) husband can help.

I suppose, for this one, I'm going to owe him big time.

No comments: