Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Where did summer go?

Are you kidding me? Labor Day weekend is officially over and that means that summer is, too. It's unbelieveable.

Luckily for us, Nebraska is still kicking out summer-like weather, so I'm going to keep pretending that summer hasn't officially ended and keep wearing my flip-flops.

Anyway, of course, since it was Labor Day weekend, David and I took full advantage of the three day weekend and headed home to visit the fam. You would think that with an extra day in the weekend we would have plenty of time to get everything done - but, you would be wrong.

Saturday, I spent the day sleeping in (okay, more like the morning). Then, I headed into town for lunch with a great friend from high school. Betsy has moved from Clinton to Chicago to San Diego to New York. She keeps getting farther and farther away from me (whether this is coincidence or on purpose I haven't decided), so I made sure to squeeze some time in for her. It was great to have lunch and catch up.

Then, Janell and I headed to Haycraft's in Wapella to do a little bit of shopping (unfortunately I didn't make it out without buying a pair of jeans - this is a post script you'll read several times in this post). Then, we headed home for some pictures (me, of course), some riding (Janell) and some chores (this took both of us).


We finished up the day by driving into David's with Brian to watch a movie - and do a little bit of birthday planning.

Sunday, Janell and I headed to Champaign for more shopping. Unfortunately, because I'm an idiot, I didn't bring my camera so I wasn't able to take any pictures of campus - which, coincidentally looked BEAUTIFUL.

But, I did get a chance to visit my old residence: 4-H House. At least I think it was my old residence! They have redone the bathrooms and basement, painted the dining room and removed some unnecessary doors since I lived there - it didn't even look like the same house.

After our quick trip to the house, Janell and I headed to Pard's because Janell wanted to look for some jeans (again, unfortunately I wasn't able to make it out of the store without a pair of jeans). I also chatted with some of the folks I used to work with - all in all, a good visit.

Finally, Janell and I finished up on the north end of town by going to Plato's Closet (nope, didn't make it out of this store either without a pair of jeans) and a few other stores. It was nice to be able to head back to my old stomping grounds and spend some time with my sister.

After a visit to Great Grandma Louise, Janell and I headed home for yet another dose of chores.

At this point, I need to offer up my disclaimer:  Hold on to whatever meal you just finished eating.

A couple of weeks ago, one of my mares got caught in the fence and cut her leg clear to the bone. Amazingly, she didn't break her leg, so mom and Chuck have been spending 40 minutes a day doctoring for two weeks. Of course, I made sure to help and this is what I saw:

Yep. Yuck. Daisy seems to be getting along okay and the vet told mom that as long as the bone stays pink to white, she'll be fine. After it heals, it won't ever be pretty, but, she'll be able to move around on it.

Anyway, after a busy day, I headed into David's and spent the night at his house. Monday morning, I headed back into town to meet mom so we could go watch Angela (a trainer that's working on our two-year-old) ride Di.

Then, it was on to finish my rounds: Lunch with Brian, congratulating Brandon on his engagement, out to Grandma and Grandpa's to chat and finally, to Ted and Cheryl's for a quick conversation.

And, just like that, the weekend was over. Bummer.

But, David and I are looking forward to this weekend: We're headed back into Illinois (this time the northern portion) for a brewery and winery tour with several friends. Seeing as how our friends have rented a bus, this should be a GREAT weekend.

You know me - I'll take pictures and post them. Well, some of them.

No comments: