Monday, November 16, 2009

Dive-bombing butterflies and red-hot cheeks. Again.

Does it count as a date if you don't show up together? I don't think it matters.

I drove home from Springfield the next weekend to meet Scoop at the football game. Before I headed to the game, I stopped at home to drop off my stuff (okay, yes, it was my laundry for my mom) and grab some warm clothes to guard against the chilly fall night.

Just as I was ready to walk out the door, my mom said, "Didn't you just get home? Where are you headed to now?"

"Well, I'm going to the football game. I'm going to meet Scoop there and then go back to his house afterward."

My mom was used to me going to games with Scoop, but wasn't used to me going to his house afterward. Plus, she knew that Car Guy and I had officially ended things months ago.

"So, is this football game just a football game, or is it more of a date?"

"Well, I guess it's more of a date. I mean, several of my friends will be there, too, but I'm going specifically to meet Scoop."

"And, why would you decide to make a date with someone when you're going to be gone and traveling nearly all year?"

I knew she had a good point. But, I also knew that something just felt different about Scoop. He and I were already such good friends. And, it wasn't like I planned for this to happen.

"Mom - I know, but he asked me and said he would do everything he could to see me when we're both home. It's not like I decided I wanted to start another relationship right away - this just happened."

And, before she could say anything else to dampen my mood, I high-tailed it out the door (yep - I just said "high-tailed". I'm impressive).

The closer I got to town, the more nervous I got. I didn't remember being this nervous when Scoop asked me out. Heck, I didn't even remember being this nervous when I ran for a state office. Luckily for me, the first person I saw at the game was my best friend, Betsy (and, no, I'm not sure why she's the only person in this story without a nickname).

After the usual pleasantries, I dropped the bomb.

"So, I'm kind of here with someone."

"WHAT? WHO?"

"Well, Scoop asked me out last week. We've been talking all week and I'm really excited about this..."

Betsy quickly released me to go find my date and Scoop and I spent the rest of the evening talking with friends and watching the game. Then, we headed back to his house.

This was the moment of truth, the point of no return. If he kissed me tonight - and there was no spark - or, worse, later on down the road we just decided we weren't right for each other, it would be certain death for our friendship. I mean, really, when a relationship ends, people say they want to stay friends, but it never works that way (a lesson I was about to learn the hard way).

Was I ready to put that on the line? I loved hanging out with Scoop. We had spent so much time together during our senior year in high school and if things went south, that would all be gone.

But, before I could even complete that thought, we were sitting very close to each other on the couch and watching a movie. Too late now.

We watched movies. We talked. Then, he walked me to my car and we said goodnight - without a goodnight kiss.

Perhaps Scoop was worried about the same thing I was. Would our shot at a relationship ruin a perfectly good friendship?

He must have decided it wasn't worth worrying about by our third date, though, because during our exciting night of more moving watching, he laid one on me.

Whoa. There go those dive-bombing butterflies again. And those red cheeks. You would think - as a dark-complected, dark-haired woman, red cheeks wouldn't be so apparent. You would think that, but you would be wrong. Oh well, I've gotten used to it. Because, I still get dive-bombing butterflies and red-hot cheeks every time Scoop gives me a peck on the cheek.

I was a total goner. I still am.

And, that's it. The end. We lived happilly ever after and all of our friends were so happy for us, they sang and threw rose petals.

Ok, not so much.

No comments: