Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Just when you thought it was over...

Contrary to popular belief, that last post was not the end to our story. C'mon, people, I haven't even gotten to the marriage proposal yet.

In all honesty, the first few weeks of our relationship are, arguably, the most eventful. At least in terms of the amount of drama we had to deal with.

After dating only a few weeks, I found myself back on the road. As a state officer, one of my duties was to travel from school to school with the section officers and talk to high school ag classes about agriculture education and FFA. One night, after a long day of visits, my cell phone rang.

Car Guy called every so often just to chat. Looking back now, I think he probably was keeping tabs, but I didn't realize it at the time.

"So, how are you? How's the FFA thing?"

"It's fine. I'm on the road right now - but, it's still a lot of fun. How's school?"

"It's okay." Then, he couldn't wait any longer... "So, you seeing anyone?"

"Um, yeah. Scoop and I have been out on a few dates."

"Oh. That's good. I've been kind of seeing this girl here at school."

(I know, we have a real gift for eloquence and flowery language.)

After a few more random questions, we ended our conversation and I felt relieved. Obviously, if Car Guy had moved on and was seeing someone at school, he was over it and I was in the clear (not that I would have cared, seeing as how I thought we had ended things a month ago when I said I didn't want to get back together after school. But, that's beside the point).

A few weeks later, Scoop and I were both home again for the weekend. It just happened to be a big weekend for our small town - the weekend the town holds a HUGE festival - so, it seemed everyone we went to school with was back home, too.

While I was walking around and visiting my high school FFA chapter's food tent, I got a call from Scoop. To make a long, shocking conversation short, he informed me that Car Guy was home, had found out that we were dating, as was out for blood.

Yes, you read that right. He "found out" that we were dating - even though I had told him two weeks earlier. Apparently, he didn't believe me the first time. Either that, or I was speaking German. I suppose we'll never know.

Anyway, Car Guy was ready for a fight. Luckily for me, I never saw Car Guy that weekend. But, I was fortunate enough to hear what he was only to happy to pass along to anyone that would listen.

Apparently, I was a terrible, horrible woman that cheated on him with one of his good friends. Uh-huh. And, Scoop was an awful person, too, because he had stolen Car Guy's girlfriend. Yep.

Needless to say, this is when the, ahem, excuse me, shit hit the fan.

Friends took sides. And, people that heard all of this through the grapevine couldn't get to me fast enough to tell me about everything that was circulating.

Now, if you know me - or Scoop, for that matter - you know that drama is the last thing either one of us are interested in. We're both laid back, easy-going people who would rather sit on our couch and watch TV together than go out on dates or socialize with big groups of people.

Still, this matter needed to be dealt with. I was not about to be labeled a cheater - or even take the fall for this one. Perhaps I should have laid it all out in plain English a little better, but I wasn't the only one with indescretions, let's say.

Finally, after I had let myself cool down for about a week, I picked up the phone and called Car Guy to lay this to rest once and for all.

"Hello?"

"It's me. We need to talk."

**Click**

Well, obviously, this was going to go well. I waited a few minutes to see if he would get over himself and call me back. Sure enough...

"Sorry. I dropped the phone."

"I bet you did."

"I'm sorry. I'm just really angry."

"You're angry? You've been telling everyone that I cheated on you. I told you that David and I had gone out. If anyone get's to be angry, it's me. I didn't say anything to anyone about what happened while we were dating. You lied to me." I'm paraphrasing here. A very select few know what happened, and beyond that, no one else needs to know the exact details of what happened.

"I didn't lie to you, I just didn't tell you." (Let me tell you, of all the things people have ever said to me, regardless of whether it was a friend, acquaintance or boyfriend, this is my most favorite statement ever. Ever. EVER.).

"Ok. Whatever. It doesn't matter. This just needs to stop. I'm tired of hearing about all this - it's over. You're dating someone else and so am I."

After that conversation, I didn't speak to Car Guy for a good three years. Obviously, things hadn't ended as smoothly as I had originally thought they would and I was in no mood to negotiate or pour salt on old wounds.

And, letting go must have worked, because (minus a few disagreements here and there) Scoop and rolled right through the next five years of our relationship. In the blink of an eye, Scoop had transferred to a new school, I was attending college a few hours away, and we were seniors ready to graduate.

And, I was desperately waiting for Scoop to pop a very big question.

No comments: