Thursday, May 1, 2008

Bad news bears...

No, not the movie. That's just what I always say when something doesn't work out the way it's supposed to - and I was saying it a lot today. David called me this morning at about 9:30 and told me he got a call from the newspaper in Aurora - he didn't get the job. They literally told him he was the most qualified candidate they interviewed. They said he had the most experience and they felt he would do the best job, but they were afraid Lincoln was too far away from Aurora. And, it doesn't matter that we're planning on moving closer to Aurora - they still thought it would be too far away. Needless to say, we had a lousy morning.

I was so excited about starting to look for houses (I found some really cute ones in York), but now, we don't even know if David will be moving out to Nebraska with me when I move at the end of May. He thought he might actually stay here in Illinois and try to work for a publishing company and then move out to Nebraska after we get married.

Of course, that's okay. But, we've never been that far away from each other before - and, it will be harder to pay the bills, especially since we were planning on having two paychecks when we picked out our apartment. I suppose it's like mom said, "Honey, everything happens for a reason. No matter how it ends up, it will work out for the best in the end." I sure hope she's right...

So, David and I spent today looking for new jobs out in Nebraska. We found a couple, but who knows if he will get any calls back and if it will be soon enough for him to move out to Lincoln with me. It's just one of those things that makes me so angry. I know how hard he works and how smart and talented he is, and if a company would just give him a shot - even if it's something that he doesn't have a lot of experience in - they'll have an employee they'll never want to let go.

The only things that redeemed the day? Friends and cars. First, the friends. Bethany and Jessica came over tonight to watch Grey's with me. My "best good friend" Rachel was here in spirit - rehashing all of the Grey's happenings online. After that was over Jessica, Bethany and I spent the rest of the evening watching useless TV and catching up - it was wonderful. Living out of the sorority, I don't get to see them as often as I used to and I miss it. I miss the totally random conversations we used have and the crazy things we used get away with. I hope the two of them can find some time to come out to Nebraska and visit me - I might just get lonely without them.

Now for the car part. After talking with mom and Uncle Scott, it seems like the sensible thing to do to buy a newer car before I head out to Nebraska. After having to fix mine several times in the last month, I dont want to get stuck out in Nebraska with a car that doesn't work. And, my sister, Janell, has such a nice car. Mom and I thought maybe we could talk her into putting her car into storage and taking my car to school - especially since mine is already dented and banged up. Or, at least mom and Chuck could take my car and use it to drive back and forth to their shop instead of putting the miles on their newer cars. Anyway, I'm going to go home this weekend to take more pictures of the farm and go to the horse show on Sunday, but Saturday, I get to go into the dealership and look for a car. I found an HHR that I really like with under 10,000 miles on it, but I'm not sure I can afford it. I need to talk to mom and Scott to see if we can come up with some numbers and see if I can afford the monthly payments....I sure hope so!

I guess I had better close for the evening. At least I can look forward to tomorrow - it's Friday!

No comments: