Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thank goodness we won't be street bums...

Well, it's official - David and I found an apartment in Nebraska. It's actually really cute for an apartment. It's got a really small kitchen, so the cook in me was screaming 'NO!' but everything else worked well and will fit our needs. It's got a small den off of the kitchen that we can use as an office/dining room (I know, strange combination). The bedroom is big enough to fit my giant dresser and bed in, so that's nice, and it's got a large living room with a nice deck! The best part is we were able to sign a six month lease to give us some time to look for a house outside of Lincoln (more about that later).

As for the townhouse...
We looked at it and, of course, it was SUPER cute! The size would have been just perfect for David and I. The bedrooms were huge, the kitchen was adorable and everything was well kept and clean. I think the payments would have even been in our 'range.' But, with the two of us not having any full-time employment in our history (seriously, we're college students!), we decided it would probably be hard to get approved for a loan.

And (here's the "more later" part), David's job interview in Aurora went really, really well. He said he really thinks that he'll end up getting the job, so we decided it would probably be smarter to stick with the six month lease on an apartment so we could move out of Lincoln later on. Aurora is about 70 miles outside of Lincoln - a really long commute - so, we thought six months would give us some time to look for a house or apartment in between Lincoln and Aurora.

I was kind of bummed about not getting the townhouse, but in the end, I think I'm more excited now to think about getting a house in a small town outside of Lincoln. I can't wait to start looking!

Other than the house/apartment drama, David and I had a good time out in Nebraska. I got to drive a cute little Mazda 3. Of course, I'm still partial to my GM cars, but I figured I'd never drive a foreign car again, so I might as well pick that for our rental car. Anyway, by our last day out there, we had made up our minds about the apartment, so we had some time to just drive around and take it easy. We went out to a mall and did some shopping and, (I hope you're sitting down) I bought a Nebraska shirt. Well, David bought the shirt for me. But, don't worry - it's not a full-fledged Nebraska shirt. It's a red t-shirt with a small 'N' on it and then, in white lettering, it says, "This is my University of Nebraska T-Shirt." Which, to me - if you read between the lines - says, "This my Cornhusker t-shirt I bought in a half-ass attempt to fit in because in all honesty I'm a die-hard Illini fan." Yep, it says all that.


Coming home, our flight was delayed at Lincoln and again at O'Hare, but we eventually made it home - very, vey late - but, we made it home.

Sorry for the long-winded Nebraska news - I just had to get it all out! Back here in Illinois, this is my very last Wednesday of class. Tomorrow starts finals week and that means I'm two tests, one project and one paper closer to being done forever. So, naturally you would think that I spent last night trying to get ready for some of those things.

Um, no. Last night was Tuesday night and that means Deadliest Catch night. I missed last Tuesday's episode so I had to catch up last night and watch two of them - which didn't bother me at all. I was able to spend some quality time with Mike Rowe. Kirky and I ordered some pizza and settled in for a nice long viewing of the Discovery Channel and then Law and Order: SVU (I got him hooked on that show and he just doesn't want to admit it).

Anyway, I'll study tonight for my test tomorrow and then hopefully find some time to work on the paper that's due on Monday. After that, I'm headed home for the weekend to take some more pictures of the farm and then drive up to Sterling for another paint show.

Ok...after quite possibly my longest post ever, I think I'll sign off and start looking for houses! YAY!

No comments: