Thursday, April 24, 2008

In the land of Cornhuskers...

It's official - David and I made it to Nebraska. We didn't have any problems (thank goodness), but it sure has been a long day. When the alarm went off at 3 a.m. this morning, I was seriously reconsidering my "let's get there early" idea. But, we got to Bloomington with plenty of time to spare and all of our flights were on time - wonderful! We finally landed in Lincoln, called the rental car company, and picked up our car.

At this point, I must insert an apology to my GM product, car-dealer uncle: I'm renting a Mazda 3. I just kind of figured it would be the one and only time that I would drive a non-GM vehicle. It's not nearly as nice as my dented, rusted and old Monte Carlo.

After David and I ate lunch we headed out to look at apartments. We had a 1 o'clock appointment to look at some apartments situated on a golf course - obviously, David was sold. And, they were beautiful. But, the lady that showed us the apartments didn't have much left, and the two bedroom apartments were a little bit more than what we wanted to pay. After that, we just drove around looking at different places. We did tour one other one, but it just wasn't exactly what we were looking for. After that, we headed back to the hotel and went to bed - getting up at 3 wiped us out early.

That means, tomorrow, we're on the hunt again. We have an appointment at 2:30 to look at another apartment complex and we'll probably just drive around again and see what we can find. David is also supposed to meet with someone at the Lincoln newspaper to talk about possibly freelancing or working full-time.

In a nutshell, so far the trip has been great. Being back out here is re-affirming: I still love the city and still think I'll really enjoy my job. And, despite his constant complaining, I don't think David minds it either - he said it kind of reminds him of Peoria.

I guess that's the end of the story for day 1. Tomorrow, is a whole new apartment-hunting day, and tomorrow, we're taking pictures!

No comments: