Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquakes....in ILLINOIS?

Yep. That's right. This morning I woke up at 4:45 really, really confused. I was still in that half-alseep mode and I just couldn't understand why my whole bed was moving....well, for that matter, why my whole apartment was moving. In fact, I was still out of it enough, I thought maybe it was just the wind outside.

That's when I heard my neighbors above me wake up too, and one of them said, "Holy cow! I think that was an earthquake." But, when I woke up at 8:45, I had to turn on the news because I honestly thought I had dreamt the whole thing.

I didn't dream it. West Salem, Illinois registered at 5.2 magnitude earthquake on the Richter Scale - and that was the talk of the town today. It was felt throughout the entire state, but being from the same side of the state, and not too far north, we really felt it on the U of I campus. I almost wish I would have been awake to fully comprehend what was happening - I've never experienced an earthquake before. Southern Illinois is home to one of the most powerful faults in the country, but we certainly don't have earthquakes with any kind of regularity like California does. Everyone at work was talking about today's shaky start.

On another note...I LOVE MY '09s! I am a member of a small sorority on the U of I campus, so my pledge class is very small and very close. And, tonight, they suprised me and another girl that is graduating this semester with dinner at Steak 'N' Shake and cute t-shirts! It was so nice to see all of them and the suprise was absolutely wonderful...I'm going to miss those girls when David and I leave for Nebraska. I wish I could be around to hang out with them for their senior year in college (since I took a year off before college and didn't join the sorority until my soph. year in college, I'm graduating before they all will).

I suppose that's it for the evening. I have to sign off because I have to be up very early for tomorrow's horse show...and, David made fun of me tonight for 'needing' to blog before I went to bed.

No comments: