Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Life just isn't fair.

Sure, that thought has crossed my mind a few times before. But, most of the time, I realize that it's just the way thing are.

Even if it is the way things are, today, it couldn't be more true.

It seems like ever since I've left home, things have just happened one after another - things that I need to be at home for, but I can't because Nebraska is so far away.

I found out today that a boy that was on my dairy judging team in college lost both his father and his younger brother in a farming accident yesterday. Apparently there was a problem with some equipment in the manure pit under ground, and when he tried to check on it, he fell in. His sons saw him, and John, my friend went to call 911 while his brother tried to help his dad. But, under ground the fumes were so strong, they both died.

I was not extremely close to John - but we did spend a lot of time together on trips and in judging practice and he is one of the nicest men I've ever met. The accident is so unbelievable and so sudden - it's just hard to fathom. But, I think what makes it worse is I know just what he's going through. I know what it's like to see that happen and to lose someone so close and I want so badly to be able to drive up to his farm and help with chores or just do anything that I can to help his family. I've talked with some other people from the dairy club and they're going to call me when they find out when the services are. Since I'm coming home this weekend, I might be able to at least go to the visitation.

At least, since I'm coming home this weekend, I will get to stop and visit Greb in the hospital. She continues to make remarkable progress, taking on stairs and walking several steps every day. I can't wait to see her and give her a great big hug!

No comments: