Thursday, August 14, 2008

Chillin' Okie-style.





Day No. 2 in Oklahoma and I have to say, I'm really enjoying myself. It truly is beautiful down here and so different from home.

Yesterday and today I spent my time down in southern Oklahoma (I was actually about 25 miles from the Texas state line), and was just amazed by the difference in landscape between central and southern Oklahoma.

Coming from Illinois, and even Nebraska to an extent, I'm so used to seeing cornfield after cornfield after cornfield (with a few acres of beans mixed in there, too). Southern Oklahoma was a huge change of pace, seeing ranch after ranch. I couldn't have found a cornfield if I wanted to. It was awesome to see some of the enormous ranches and homes to some of the horses that I've seen pictures of in magazines.


Tomorrow will be an exciting day, too. Okay, so, it would really only be exciting to me and a few other show junkies, but still. I have to drive over to Tulsa to interview the official vet of the AQHA World Show - while he's at the Reichert Celebration. The Reichert is one of those huge shows that I've always wanted have a horse good enough to show in, so it will be fun to go over and be able to watch it for a couple of hours.

The other thing that has been so interesting is completely unrelated to my interests here in Oklahoma: football. I've always heard that football is a religion down here, but I found out it was true today as I listened to the radio. Every radio station I listened to frequently listed each area football team's opening game information. You could find out who was playing when, what kind of fundraisers to attend for each team and find out how many practices per day each team was committed to. It was like living in Varsity Blues.

After tomorrow's excursion in Tulsa, I'll return to Guthrie to talk to a couple of vets on Friday, then it will be time to head home. Hopefully, by the time I get home on Friday night, David will already be at the apartment! He's coming out to Nebraska Friday afternoon and is planning to stay for a week or so - he has an interview on Monday for a sports sales position with the city of Lincoln. I'm so excited for him - he's been submitting resumes left and right and hadn't heard anything back yet. So, he's really excited about having an interview - and, is excited about the job. So, it will be nice to be able to spend my open weekend with David and see him this week.

I think that's it for now. In the words of Paul Harvey, "That's the rest of the story."

No comments: