Thursday, June 12, 2008

I haven't forgotten...

I know, I know. Those of you who actually do read my blog have begun to wonder if I have fallen off the face of the planet. The answer is obviously "no" - but, I've been close.

The last couple of weeks have been an absolute whirlwind! The weekend before I started work, I decided to drive over to Ames, Iowa to visit my best friend, Rachel. A good friend of ours was getting married that last weekend in May, so I decided it would be fun to drive over to Ames on Friday and then ride down to Quincy, Ill. with Rachel to go to the wedding. Then, some really nasty storms rolled through Nebraska on Thursday evening. So, I called my friend and said, "So, um, people are dying in Nebraska. I'm coming to Iowa a day earlier." She laughed and said I was more than welcome to live in her basement.

So, I went ahead and drove over to Iowa and had a wonderful time with her - it was absolutley wonderful to be able to catch up with her and spend some time with her in her new favorite town.

After I got home from Iowa, I packed up my things once again to get ready for work the next day. I got to the office Monday, June 2nd and promptly boarded a plane for Milwaukee. I spent the week in Milwaukee doing some training and sitting in on meetings. That doesn't sound like much, but I was absolutely shot at the end of the week. Finally, Friday rolled around and I was able to ride home (to Clinton that is) with a friend of mine that also works for the company I work for.

When I got home, I went to a horse show and worked for the weekend, then headed to my house to work on Monday.

But, the middle of this week (ending with this afternoon) was the best - and really what I was looking forward to. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week was my little sister's state FFA convention. Janell served as a state officer this year and her 'retiring' convention was this week. And, I have to say, coming from a past state officer myself, her convention was wonderful.

Watching her this week was like being in high school all over again and watching the state officers on stage with awe and admiration. She and her teammates were so confident and put together a wonderful and entertaining convention.

Janell gave her retiring address on Wednesday afternoon and I just couldn't believe how confident and smart and well-spoken she was. I was so proud of her - I think more than she will ever know. I looked out at the crowd and saw how inspiring she was to everyone that watched her and couldn't help but think of how much she had grown up and all of the amazing things she would accomplish.

Now, I'm sitting at David's house (because part of the wonderfulness - and yes, that's a word - of being at home is being able to see my fiance that is normally eight hours away) watching a movie and relaxing and thinking about all of the things I need to work on tomorrow while I'm at work.

After work, I think I'm going to drive over to Champaign and join David at a work event he has to attend, and then enjoy my last Saturday at home before I have to fly back to Nebraska on Sunday.

Whew. It's been a long week.

No comments: