Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A rough couple of days...

It seems like it keeps getting harder and harder sit down and write on here. I've been so busy trying to get settled into work and traveling I just haven't had the time to write as often as I want to. To top it off it has been kind of rough the past couple of weeks.

I can't remember if I included this on an earlier post - I may have, but I'm just not sure. Anyway, one of my very close friends lost his father a couple of weeks ago. Of course, I was gone doing some training for work and wasn't able to make it down to the services - which absolutely killed me. I know what it's like to lose a parent, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. And, I just really would have liked to have been there for him. I saw him last week and seemed to be in good spirits, but, my friend is often very hard to read. He keeps things pretty close and doesn't really want to let anyone in.

I understand how he feels - I was the same way. I guess, I kind of still am. It's hard to think about sometimes and I still don't really feel 'okay' with it. But, I suppose that's one of those things you never really do feel okay with. I just hope he talks to someone about it. I didn't and I feel like it took me a lot longer to accept what happened.

Needless to say, when I heard about my friend's dad, it was a hard day for me, too. Partially because we were so close, and I knew his father pretty well. And, partly because all of those memories of my dad came back, too.

Then, just when I was starting to get over that hump, Kristina, one of my best friends that I went to college and lived with was in a serious accident back home in Illinois. She was on her way home from her boyfriend's house and was t-boned by another vehicle. She fractured her skull and her pelvis and had some neck injuries. They had to airlift her to St. Francis Hospital in Peoria, and for the past couple of days, she's been in a coma.

Now, I like Nebraska so far, but this is when it gets hard. I know if something like that happened to me, Kristina would be in her car and by my side. I want so much to be that for her, but here I sit, 8 hours away from her. Even though there isn't a thing I could do for her - I could at least be at the hospital praying for her.

Another girl we went to school with has been up to the hospital and keeps sending reports out to all of us. The good news is, she woke up today. She looked at her mom and squeezed hand and looks to be making progress - what a blessing!

She's strong - and I knew she'd pull through. But, with such a serious accident, it's just plain scary to think about. When I first got the news, it didn't really sink in just how serious her injuries were.

David is good friend's with Kristina's boyfriend, Stephen, and has been on the phone with him trying to keep up with the news of Kristina's condition. David, of course, feels so bad for Stephen. Because Kristina was coming from Stephen's house, David sensed that maybe Stephen was feeling guilty about her accident - something David said he could identify with. I think he was hoping to maybe get the chance to drive up there later in the week after she is transfered out of the ICU and can have more visitors.

I'm hoping I can put some more encouraging and better news up here later in the week.

No comments: